Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Things I Will Never Get Used To

I should really start off this post by saying that we are really quite happy here in the Holy Land. I didn't think that we would be this settled and "normalized" after only about 5 months, but here we are.

However, there is one thing that I don't think will ever be normal for me - no Sundays. You'd think it wouldn't be so bad because then, as Elie puts it - "Tuesday is already the middle of the week, only 2 more days left". And while that does give me a slightly warm and fuzzy feeling on Tuesday, I really wouldn't mind pushing off that warm and fuzzy feeling until, shall we say - WEDNESDAY. Friday is such a short day that it, in no way, replaces Sunday, especially in the winter. Maybe my tune will change slightly once we change the clocks and Fridays are "longer", but it's not looking promising. Even though it's great having Elie home on Friday to watch Tani while I cook, help clean up, etc. - I would still take Sunday over Friday any day. Maybe I should lobby to get it changed......

In other news, I have begun a job search. That's right folks, you heard me right, I will not be a free-loader forever (although I do love having a Sugar Daddy, or Sugar Abba as it is known here). We decided that we really want to get a car (and by we I mean that I am basically insisting on it). You see, when we lived in NYC, it was fine not having a car because the subway was our car. And towards the end of our time in the city, I kept saying that I was so ready to get out and move to a suburb with trees, driveways, etc. Well, I don't know if I was specific enough, but in the picture in my head, that driveway had a CAR IN IT. That being said, car = money = need more = Leezy has to work. So I really need something local or work-from-home and it also has to be part-time. Ulpan is ending at the end of the month (a tear...) so I will have the mornings free which is why I am now beginning my search. I've sent my resume and made some contacts but have heard nothing yet. We'll see......

Speaking of ulpan ending, I had my oral test today. I can't say that I studied, but our teacher basically told us what we were going to be asked and how the test would be conducted so I've been practicing in my head. We were told she would ask us a few questions and then tell us to tell her something/anything about ourselves. I figured I would talk about aliyah so I've been practicing the little speech I would give. When I got to her office, she basically asked me 2 questions - how long was I in school and what was I in school for. She then sat back, folded her arms and said - "Ok, sipri lee (tell me)". I was like - "uhh, duhh, uhh, ok". Anyway, I basically started spewing and was surprised at how well I felt I was doing. To that end, after about 3 minutes of verbal spewage, she asked me if I would be interested in taking the written test on ramah (level) daled!! That's right, pepole, I'm basically an ulpan GENIUS! (Thanks, Morah Leah!) So I was honest with her and I said that conversationally I feel pretty ok but when it comes to the written test with the dikduk (grammar), that is waaay harder for me and I don't know how well I would do. We talked about it a little more and it became pretty clear that it didn't really matter how I felt about talking a higher level test, she had basically already decided that's how it's going to be (welcome to Israel). Luckily, she said she'll give me a few practice ones before the actual test.

That's all that's happening now. Netanel is continuing to entertain us and he is really becoming to smart for his own good. He totally gets our humor and he himself is very funny. The other day I asked him to get something that rolled under the table. Once underneath, he decided it would be fun to play there. I HATE it when he does this because it always ends with him bumping his head, no matter how many times I tell him not to stand up. So I kept saying to him - "Come out, Tani....Time to come out....Let's go....Come out...". He finally looked up at me and said, just like I say it - "C'mon Tani!"
Just one more story - the other day when I was dropping him off at gan, a parent of a good friend of his (him and the little boy are about the same age so they play together a lot at gan) came up to me and said that over shabbat they were looking at a book with their son and he was naming all the colors in the book. The parents were amazed so when the father dropped him off he asked the ganenet if she had been teaching his kid colors. She was like - "No, Tani did". I told him that we charge 20 shekels an hour and his kid could come by every day at 4 for lessons. It's about time Tani starts bringing in some cash.

2 comments:

  1. I knew reading that book a million times and naming everything (always red or green) on our tiyulim would come in handy some day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually your blog is pretty funny too. Way to go Susan and Buhnie. Who knew your girls were so funny? (Who likes cake?)

    ReplyDelete