Thursday, November 6, 2008

Winter in Israel - This Should Be Interesting

I figured I would write a short post now about something that has really been on my mind for the past few weeks.
So immediately after Sukkot, as I wrote in one of my first posts, it got rainy and actually quite "cold". At first I was pretty amazed that the seasons could change so drastically but I was really happy about it because I'm not the hugest fan of the freaking hot weather here in Bet Shemesh so the cooler air was quite a relief. However, in terms of Netanel, I had not really planned on this cold weather coming on so quickly. When I was planning Tani's winter wardrobe before we moved, well let's just say I basically didn't plan anything outside of buying him a zip-up sweatshirt from Target. I knew my parents were coming at the end of November and I kinda figured the warm weather would hold out until then. So now, that sounds like a really dumb plan but at the time, it sounded reasonable (look at the big picture, people - I've never lived here before and all I know of Israel, and Bet Shemesh in particular, is that it's hot, always). As the weather was turning slightly cooler over Sukkot, we took advantage of still having our rental car and went to a few stores to buy some long pants and long-sleeve shirts for Netanel to tide him over until Bubby and Zaidy come laden with Old Navy goodies. These purchases have been quite good and were extremely useful during that first cold and rainy week.
Here's the kicker, though - yea, it got warm again. It's kind of cool in the morning and it can get cool once the sun goes down but, during the day, it is really and truly warm (sometimes even hot!) outside! While this fluctuation in the weather has occurred, I have begun to notice some very interesting things about Israelis (or people who have been living in Israel for more than 3 years).
For example, last Shabbat it had to be in the mid-80's. It's wasn't broiling but it was definitely not cool. However, as I was pushing Netanel in the stroller to meet Elie at shul, almost every single woman I saw was dressed in long sleeves, black tights, boots, turtlenecks, etc. I even saw men in long sleeve button down shirts with sweaters on top! Throughout last week and this week I have been seeing even more of that, even though the temperature has stayed at a steady 80-85 degrees during the day. It's as if that one blast of cold air for a few days declared the beginning of winter and there is no going back. I'm convinced that in that week everyone changed over their wardrobes from their summer to winter clothes and now people are too lazy to change back so they act like they're all comfortable in their turtlenecks and Uggs in 85 degree weather when really they're sweating like pigs. Beauty is pain, I guess. Or laziness is......

"Momz and Dadz Visit to Israel Countdown" - 3 weeks!!

1 comment:

  1. Although it may not make sense, fashion dictates that one dress for the season, not the weather. For example, there are many New Yorkers who go to Florida during the Winter and bring their Summer clothes only to find the native Floridians dressed in Winter clothes, regardless of how hot or cold the weather is. Also, many celebraties have been photographed in L.A. wearing Uggs and jeans in the warm California sun. I can recall many a Pesach freezing in my Spring clothes because it was still chilly out and many a Rosh Hashana boiling in my Fall clothes because it was still warm out. (Perhaps that is why they over air-condition shuls during the Yamim Noraim.)

    ReplyDelete